The launch of a new GVP website is scheduled for Monday, May 20, 2013.
Volcanoes of the Mediterranean and western Asia
Observatories and Official Agencies
- Stromboli On-Line
- This site was originally created by Jürg Alean & Roberto Carniel (Univ di Udine) to spread volcanological data and research results, mainly about Stromboli, to non-specialists. it has since grown into a much more diverse and immensely popular website covering volcanos and including material from more than just Stromboli. It is both scientific and educational. Very popular items are the large illustrated glossary of volcanological terms and the various virtual field trips. Pages are available in Italian, German, and English.
- Italy's Volcanoes: The Cradle of Volcanology
- This site maintained by Boris Behncke has evolved into an excellent resource for information about Etna, Stromboli, Vesuvius, Vulcano, Campi Flegrei, and many other Italian volcanoes. This compilation of material about Italian volcanism includes links to other appropriate pages dedicated to monitoring and eruptive history. The latest news reports about volcanic activity are often posted.
- Explore Italian Volcanoes
- This site maintained by Roberto Scandone has current Italian eruption information and a great deal of information about the physical volcanology of Italy. A searchable database of volcanological papers has over 4000 entries.
- Volcano World: Europe and Western Asia
- Images, basic information, and references. Not restricted to Holocene volcanoes. Includes Iceland, Azores, and the Middle East.
- Volcanic Ash Advisory Statements
- Aviation notices issued by the Toulouse Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC). Coverage area includes Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
- Institute For The Study And Monitoring Of The Santorini Volcano
- Its main target is the promotion of volcanological research on the island, more specifically how to achieve the most accurate assessment possible regarding volcanic phenomena, and the increased probability of precise forecasting of any future volcanic eruption. The Institute provides Santorini with an integral monitoring system, which guarantees the timely prediction of a possible volcanic eruption and undertakes the responsibility of disproving any false statements or rumors regarding a negative state of the volcano.
- Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano
- A non-profit organization whose primary aim is to continue to maintain the operation of the Volcano Observatory and the monitoring networks, which were established under a research program funded by the E.U.